15 Vertical Garden Systems Perfect For Small Spaces
Vertical garden systems allow you to grow more plants in less square footage by taking advantage of the unused space you generally find above your garden.
These 15 garden systems can help you maximize the number of plants you can grow in less space, or are perfect for small spaces in general.
We had a great time finding and studying each product description and review and have done our best to give you the high and low points of each option.
Earth Tower Vertical Garden
The Earth Tower is a 4ft high, 4 sided vertical garden that provides 46 feet of plantable space in just 2 square feet. It provides an internal reservoir watering reservoir for easy irrigation and it all sits on wheels for portability.
- Small 2×2 footprint
- Interior watering
- A bit messy to fill
- Filling can take some time
- Can get heavy
5 Tier Stackable Strawberry, Herb, Flower, and Vegetable Planter
With reservoirs at each layer, you don’t have to worry about overwatering plants in this stackable planter. And with a size of 12 x 12 x 8 inches and weighing in at only 3 pounds it’s one of the most portable vertical garden systems on our list.
- Lightweight and compact
- Great water management
- Room for 20 plants
- Planting areas may not be deep enough for below ground plants
- Growing under artificial light can be a challenge due to the shape
- Watering lower levels directly with a watering can may be tricky
A great method of vertical gardening comes by way of hydroponics; growing plants without soil. It can increase the grow rate of a plant by up to 50% and offers a greater yield.
For those interested in hydroponic gardening, the Vertical Hydrogarden is a great choice. At only 4 square feet it fits great into small spaces like rooftops, patios and balconies.
- Less messy than soil based planters
- Plants grow quickly
- Uses 90% less water than some other hydroponic systems
- May not come with enough perlite (planting medium)
- You have to manage the pH of the water
- Changing plants may take slightly longer than soil based gardens
3 Piece Hanging Gardening System Planter
This vertical garden system is ideal for the gardener that’s lacking in garden space. Each planter can hang vertically or horizontally and they can be planted alone or together. Their self watering feature helps reduce the frequency of watering which can be done through two side holes which help cut down on mess.
- Small and light – each planter is only 8 x 12.2 x 13 inches and weighs less than 3 pounds.
- Versatile – hang vertically or horizontally, alone or in pairs
- Low maintenance design reduces weeding and makes watering and harvesting easy
- Small – it may not be able to handle larger or in-ground plants
- Need to be hung on something
- Only one color choice
Composting 50 Plant Organic Container
The Garden Tower 2 is the Mercedes Benz of vertical garden kits. It has room for 50 plants which fit neatly into 4 square feet of space, uses kitchen scraps and other organic waste as fertilizer, and has the ability to rotate for perfect light exposure.
- Nesting planting rings stack for perfect height in any situation
- 360 rotation for perfect light exposure
- Great for composting organic waste to use as fertilizer
- It’s heavy. Each cubic foot of soil weights between 74 and 110 lbs and it holds around 6 cu. Ft.
- It may be difficult to grow larger plants in the small planting areas
- It grows so many plants it may be difficult to harvest and use them all